Personal safety and property security at Middle Georgia College are everyone's responsibility. The MGC Police Department urges all members of the campus community to participate in making our campus as safe as possible. If you develop good safety habits, you can assist us in safeguarding your property and the college property.
In the event of suspicious or criminal activity, call the MGC Police Department immediately. Remember, apathy is a criminal's greatest ally. You cannot assume that someone else will report criminal activity. You must take the responsibility yourself!
Safety in Your Car
- Keep your car in good working order and the gas tank at least half full.
- Always lock your doors while driving.
- Check underneath your car and in the back seat before entering.
- Have your keys in your hand so you don't have to linger.
- If possible, carry a cellular telephone with you in case of a mechanical breakdown.
- Park in well-lighted areas and lock the doors, even if you'll only be gone a short time.
Residence Hall Safety
- Lock your door when you leave the room, even if you will be gone only for a minute. It takes about 8 seconds for someone to walk into an open room and remove an item.
- Notify your Dorm Director and Campus Police of any suspicious loitering in the vicinity of your building.
- Never leave purses, wallets, jewelry and other valuables unattended in laundry rooms, showers, cafeterias, or lobby areas.
- Never prop open ANY exterior door to your dormitory. This compromises everyone's safety.
- Never let a stranger into your building.
- Make a list of your valuables with a description and serial numbers and turn it in to MGC police to keep on file.
- Mark you valuables for identification purposes by using engravers made available by the MGC Police Department.
Safety Outside and at Night
- Walk confidently, directly, at a steady pace.
- Walk on the side of the street facing traffic.
- Stay in well-lighted areas as much as possible.
- Never work alone in an office or classroom at night. Arrange a buddy system with someone you work or study with.
- Stay alert to your surroundings. Trust your instincts.
- Never walk to your parked car alone. Walk with someone.
- When you feel you are in danger, attract attention any way you can.
Emergency call boxes have been placed at the following locations on campus:
Between Russell and Sanford Hall
Ebenezer Parking Lot (Lot O)
On the side of Georgia Hall at the Campus Police Department
On the front of Middle Georgia College Police Department
To operate the call box just open the door, push the red button and the call goes directly to the communications officer at the police department. Call boxes can be used to request police assistance, to report vehicle problems, personal escorts or general information.